Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Summoning


The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Release Date: July 1st, 2008
Publisher: Harper Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 390
Overall:

Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her. But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behaviour earns her a trip to Lyle House, a centre for 'disturbed teens'. At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her room mate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behaviour. Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems...? Chloe realizes that if she doesn't uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse...? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?
I have never read any of Kelley Armstrong’s other books. This book caught my eye however, and so I had to pick it up and read it.

The characters were interesting enough. Chloe was cute and adorable and easily relatable…that is if I too could see ghosts. Derek was also a personal favorite of mine, and I could already see my hope for a romantic interest to bud between him and Chloe. I liked Simon just fine, but he is not the one I would want for Chloe.

The book didn’t disappoint. It was a fun easy read that kept me entertained. While I wasn’t completely hooked into the book, the ending made me want more. The introduction of what was going on was finally over and the story could truly begin.




Plot:


Character:


Writing:


Cover:

1 comment:

Cat said...

It's sad, because I have been a fan of Kelly Armstrong's urban fantasy series since it came out, hmm, 8 or 10 years ago? I didn't much enjoy this particular book and I have not even given a second thought to the sequel. I might get it in the distant future once I have read all my other books.

I do like the covers though!


“Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~ Author Unknown

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails